8.25.2008

Epic


There is nothing that excites me more than the annual issue of Entertainment Weekly's fall movie preview. There is one movie in particular that I have been anticipating, "Australia" starring Nicole Kidman and the strapping Hugh Jackman. You see, I am a sucka for sweeping epics. It all began when I saw "Gone With The Wind" when I was 16. The first time I watched Scarlett sweeping across the screen in those ball gowns, trying to hate Rhett and love wimpy Ashley Wilkes, I was done. Some movies TRY to be sweeping epics (Pearl Harbor, Troy) but fail, the ones that do it well (Gladiator, Doctor Zhivago, Titanic, Out of Africa) will make you weep.



I know the "Thorn Birds" was a miniseries but to me it was an epic. Watching Meggie and Father Ralph fall in love and then try to fight that illicit love through the years, finally giving into one wonderful weekend and Meggie becoming pregnant....it was my meth. Listen people is there anything better than these period movies? No, there is not.

I hope Baz Luhrmann's "Australia" doesn't let me down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There isn't anything better than a period epic. And Gone With the Wind formed my opinions of the genre foreverrrr. "Australia" looks like it will be glorious, I had never even heard of it. Can't wait.

PA-lurker said...

I think there is a reason that i don't live in AZ: it's because I would force you to let me live in your house and we would spend every waking moment laughing and loving the same things in life. Tim could pop his head in periodically for a look-see, but that's all.