6.26.2008

SEAL


I couldn't sleep last night. One I was thinking about my dad because the 1 year mark of his passing is today, (my sister eloquently posted about him in her blog Learning The Instrument) and two I'm about 20 pages away from completing "Lone Survivor."

I read for 6 hours yesterday, I couldn't put it down, except to fill my plate with watermelon and instruct Tim on how to properly clean a DVD.

I highly highly recommend this book. He takes you through the ultimate in military training, SEAL training, which is beyond rigorous and you feel right there with him during hell week when he was awake for 6 days doing crazy horrible exercises and barely hanging onto consciousness. Hell week was nothing compared to his survival story. Starting with chapter 7 he begins the harrowing patriotic tale of how he alone survived a Taliban attack high in the mountains of Afghanistan. I was sobbing as I read the heroism of his fellow teammates. These men are not human. There is a life altering moment in the book where he was faced with making a decision which still haunts him to this day. I don't want to give anything away, but I would say to any person that considers himself an American to read this book.

Peter Berg (The Kingdom) will be directing the movie, due out in 2009, I'm hoping Tim -yummy- Riggins from "Friday Night Lights" will portray him.

3 comments:

Ashley Rae said...

I'm always on the lookout for new, good books to read. I may just have to pick this one up. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

I knew you guys would love that book! Has Tim read it yet? Oh man, Tim Riggins would be perfect.
That book and what those SEALS go through is mind-bogglingly incredible.

What IS the proper way to clean a DVD?

Michelle said...

Spray it with Windex and wipe it off with a dish towel, not paper towel. Wipe from the inside out towards the edges.